If you’ve been reading my blog for awhile now then you know that my family is very big into Halloween. Well, my dad is very big into Halloween – the rest of us just go along with it and enjoy it.
My dad always has lots of Halloween activities planned for October and last night we kicked off the Halloween season with a bonfire and a Halloween drink night. We all came up with a grown-up Halloween drink and shared them last night. Some drinks were for a visual effect, some drinks were for taste, and some were for both.
I made a Honeycrisp apple cider sangria. I saw an apple cider sangria recipe on Sally’s Baking Addiction and used that as a base for my own sangria recipe. Her recipe is made with red wine but I prefer white wine. The sweeter, the better. But this recipe was’t overly sweet. I loved how it turned out!
Honeycrisp Apple Cider Sangria Recipe
- 750mL bottle white wine (I used Moscato. You can also use a red wine if you prefer or a different white wine.)
- 1 1/2 cups apple cider
- 1/4 cup orange juice
- 2 medium sized Honeycrisp apples, cut into bite-sized chunks
- orange, sliced thin
- juice from one lemon
- 4 cinnamon sticks (more for garnish if desired)
- club soda
- Optional: cinnamon and sugar to rim glasses
This sangria is best made ahead of time so the flavors can combine. I made mine the in the morning and let in sit in the fridge until evening. Also, this is a great recipe to customize to your liking. If it’s not strong enough, add a little more wine. If it’s too strong, add a little more apple cider. If it isn’t sweet enough, add a little bit of sugar.
- Add cinnamon sticks, apples, and oranges into a pitcher. Stir in wine, apple cider, lemon juice, and orange juice.
- Let sit in fridge for 6-24 hours.
- If desired, mix cinnamon in sugar in bowl, wet glass rim, and dip into cinnamon and sugar mixture.
- Pour sangria into glasses and add a splash of club soda on top. Garnish with a cinnamon stick if desired.
- Drink responsibly and enjoy!
Everyone’s drinks came out great! Danny made a Jack O Lantern drink made with honey Jack Daniels.
My brother made a gross swamp water drink – luckily it didn’t taste gross!
My sister-in-law’s drink was delicious! It was like drinking a dessert. It was a float drink made with apple pucker, ice cream, and whipped cream. I drank mine and half of Danny’s.
My dad’s drink was the most visually appealing and I loved his touch of using beakers as glasses.
He used dry ice to make them smoke. We were very careful to not actually drink the dry ice. It was stop bubbling after a short while. I believe it was made with run, vodka, and lemonade. He used food coloring for the different colors.
It was a fun night to start the Halloween season! Have a great day!
- Favorite adult drink?
- Favorite Halloween activity?