Three Weeks Later

Good afternoon friends.

It has been exactly three weeks since my hip surgery. I have been doing pretty good except for yesterday I woke up with a terrible cold. I honesty feel like I’ve been hit by a bus.

I had physical therapy on Monday night and I walked with my full weight on my leg without my crutches for the first time since surgery. It was kind of bittersweet.

A month ago, I ran a 5k and now I can barely walk the length of a room. I had to go really slow and the physical therapist had to keep his hand on my back. My right knee was shaking uncontrollably.

PicMonkey Collage

The whole thing made me feel ridiculous and it made me laugh. But it was a frustrated laugh. It’s so frustrating that my leg muscles have gotten so weak over the past three weeks that I can’t even walk without looking like a baby deer taking its first steps. Part of me was happy for slowly making it across the room without crutches and part of me was sad that I even had to be in this position. I feel like it’s such a huge step back in my fitness ability.

I know that once I am fully recovered, I will be good as new, but I will have to work so much harder to get to where I was before surgery. The physical therapist said I was so shaky because I haven’t fully used the muscles in my leg and hip for an extended amount of time and it’s normal.

But it doesn’t feel normal to me. It feels like I want to run across that damn room, but I can’t. I have to walk like a little baby deer.

I have been running for years. Years. And now I will have to start from scratch. Don’t get me wrong, I am grateful for my health and that I will one day be able to run again. I know that there are people who are far worse off than me and can’t do many things in life. My heart goes out to those people and that makes me want to be the best that I can be.

At this point, I am happy to be making progress. I am down to only using one crutch  to get around and hopefully within the next few days, I’ll be crutchless.

I am still supposed to be sleeping in my hip brace. I do pretty good for the most part but let me tell you, sleeping in that hip brace sucks. It sucks. That’s the only way to put it. I make it most if the night with it on but lately I have been taking it off sometime around dawn and try to sleep staying really still.


Since I haven’t been getting much exercise (I still haven’t made it to the gym since last Thursday), I am trying to watch what I eat. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn’t. 🙂

I always start the day off with a healthy breakfast. One of my favorites is plain Greek yogurt with one Truvia packet and fresh berries. I’m pretty sure that I’ve mentioned that 5,721 times so I figure one more time can’t hurt.


Danny has been doing most of the grocery shopping lately and the other night he brought home the new Chobani yogurt with steel cut oats. I was excited because I have been wanting to try this yogurt!


It was delicious and I will be buying lots more!

I sent Danny this text once I discovered it in the fridge:


I’ll be spending most of the day in bed today since I feel terrible and then I have physical therapy tonight.

Have a great afternoon!!

  • What did you have for breakfast?
  • What are you doing today?



Filed under Breakfast, Fitness, Running

4 Responses to Three Weeks Later

  1. Amy

    I hope your feel better soon

  2. Here’s to a speedy recovery!

  3. You’ll be running again soon!

  4. aww…Danny is so sweet! YOu will get to the fitness level where you were..don’t worry

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *