Hello and good afternoon!
I am pretty much in love with Shamrock shakes and wait all year for them to come out at McDonald’s. However, I am not in love with the fact that they have close to 600 calories. Yes, I believe in everything in moderation but 600 calories is a lot.
Then the best thing happened – Monica from Run Eat Repeat posted a recipe for a healthier shamrock shake. The second best thing that happened was that I had all the ingredients at home.
You better believe that I made a shamrock shake yesterday after seeing her recipe.
I also love her idea of freezing almond milk to use in smoothies to help keep them thicker. I froze and used three almond milk ice cubes.
In my shamrock shake:
- 3/4 cup unsweetened almond milk (this includes the three almond milk ice cubes)
- Plain Greek yogurt (I would have used vanilla, but I only had plain in my fridge)
- 1/2 scoop vanilla protein powder
- 1/2 ounce (about a handful) spinach
- 1/4 tsp. peppermint extract
- crushed ice
- 1 packet of truvia
201 calories 26.9 grams protein
If you’re feeling really festive, you could throw a thin mint cookie in there and add only 40 calories.
Luckily, I had peppermint extract leftover from when I made peppermint Oreo truffles during the holidays.
The whole shake only had 201 calories! Much better than 600 calories, and it had a lot of protein!
As soon as Danny got home from work last night, be busted out his snow blower and went to work:
Thanks, Danny, for finding my car under the snow. You’re the best.
I tried out the new Dannon Oikos cafe latte Greek yogurt, and it was fabulous.
It’s so good, it’s one of those things where you try to scrap out every last bit, lick the lid, and maybe even lick the yogurt container. Come on, I’m not the only one, right?!
It’s definitely a flavor that I will be purchasing a lot of.
- Plank Day #6 – 2 minutes 38 seconds (I’m dying on these!)
- 1.02 miles treadmill, walked (warm-up)
- BodyPump – 60 minutes
- 2.15 miles treadmill, walked/jogged
I’m dying on the plank-a-days, and it’s only March 6th! I am improving though…even if it’s only by a second. Danny’s plank time yesterday and today was 1 minute 50 seconds.
Have a great afternoon!!
- Plank time?
- Shamrock shakes: yes or no? Favorite shake?
- What did you have for breakfast today?