Doesn’t that sound so weird to say?! 2013. When I was young, thinking about being an adult and the year 2013 was something that seemed so foreign and far away. Now here I am – 30 years old in the year 2013, married with two kids. Life really seems to speed up when you’re an adult. The years really seem like they’re flying by, as I get older and my kids grow up. That’s why I think it’s important to take time to appreciate the small things and try to live positively.
I hope that you all had a great and safe New Year’s Eve. I’ll recap our New Year’s Eve either later today or tomorrow. Today, I wanted to share some of the things that Danny and I plan on doing in 2013 to be healthier and more active.
1. We’ve decided to join a weight loss challenge through Sarah Fit’s Diet Bet. Sarah Fit is a YouTube fitness guru and blogger. She is hosting a weight loss challenge through the DietBet website. The concept is pretty easy: you pay $30 a person to join. Then, you have 4 weeks to lose 4% of your body weight. (You photograph yourself on the scale with a special “word of the day” so DietBet know you’re being honest). After the 4 weeks is over, everyone who lost 4% of their body weight splits the pot. So, if you lose your 4%, you’re guaranteed to win back your $30, plus more if other people didn’t reach their goal.
I have done Sarah’s Diet Bet in the past, and I really liked it. Paying money really helps me work hard so that I don’t lose that money. I also like the challenge aspect of it. I feel like I can push myself harder in challenge than I can when I’m just doing it myself. Last time, I paid $25, lost exactly 4% of my body weight, and won $40!
The best part is that anyone can sign up! Danny and I both plan on signing up, and the challenge starts January 10th and ends February 6th. If you’re looking to lose a few pounds, I would recommend joining. Come do it with us!
2. I am going to be trying out the Body Media Fit device. I was lucky enough to win this device via FunkyMonkey Snacks on Twitter.
From the BodyMedia website:
BodyMedia FIT Armbands automatically track the calories burned during your daily activities. The armband works as a fitness monitor to measure the intensity of your workouts and also monitors the quality of your sleep, an important factor in weight loss. The information tracked can easily be managed with BodyMedia’s online Activity Manager. Just add in the easy-to-use food log and you have the right information to improve your weight loss.
So, basically it tracks your steps taken, calories burned, and sleep. You can input your food so that you can make sure you’re burning more calories then you consume in order to lose weight. I have never used a device like this before, so I am excited to try it out…as long as it’s not too complicated
3. I plan on using my Garmin 10 to help improve my running. You can set it to help you run at a certain pace, and it alerts you if you’re going too fast or too slow. In 2013, I would like to run my fastest 5k and 10k. I’ve only run one 10k in 2011, and I would like to beat that time.
4. Food journaling. I have been majorly slacking with my food journal since the holidays. I plan on tracking everything I eat again. Tracking my food and calories is 100% what helped me lose 30 pounds. I got this super cute notebook from Marlene that I plan on using as my food journal.
Danny is trying to lose a little bit of weight, and while I told him that he doesn’t have to keep a food journal, it helps a lot to see how much your actually eating. Even keeping a food journal for a week or two can be helpful.
5. Eating healthier. I have been slacking on healthy eating these past few weeks. Now that the holidays are over I feel like I can get back on track with making healthy choices with treats in moderation. I am going to try to stay away from processed foods, and eat fruits, veggies, whole grains, fish, etc.
We stopped at Whole Foods to pick up a few things.
I do most of my grocery shopping at the regular grocery store, but there are a few things that I like from Whole Foods – the meat and fish, the produce, and the green tea drinks. I bought salmon from the fish department, grilled salmon from the prepared foods to put on salads, teriyaki chicken and chicken lunch meat for Danny, and some pineapple and salad.
6. Fantasy Fitness League – Danny and I are signed up for the newest fitness challenge at our gym, and we are going to have some competition!
I am really looking forward to the this challenge, and it will motivate Danny to get to the gym on a regular basis. I know it’s hard for him since he works full-time and has to deal with me and the kids I give a ton of credit to people who have jobs, a family, and workout out on a regular basis. It’s tough.
So, that’s the plan for 2013! I am looking forward to a great year!
What did you do yesterday? Any goals for 2013?