The other night, I took out chicken to thaw for dinner. I wasn’t sure exactly what I was going to make with it, and then Danny emailed me a crock pot chicken taco recipe that was going around his office. I think that he only emailed it to me because he thought it was funny that a bunch of guys at his work were emailing each other recipes. But it turned out to be the perfect way to use the chicken that I was planning on cooking anyway.
I’m going to share the original recipe and the recipe that I made to suit my family’s tastes.
Original Crock Pot Chicken Recipe
- 2 pounds chicken breast (boneless)
- 2 cans Rotel (original)
- 2 packets of chicken taco seasoning
- 1/2 cup water
- Add the chicken, Rotel, and water to the crock pot. Cook on low for approximately 7 hours.
- Shred chicken with fork and continue cooking for 30 minutes.
- Scoop chicken into tortillas and top with avocado.
Super easy! Here’s the recipe I made for my family. I omitted the Rotel because I knew Danny and the kids wouldn’t eat it, and I felt like the chicken needed more water while cooking.
Heather’s Crock Pot Chicken Tacos
- 1 pound boneless chicken
- 1 packet chicken taco seasoning
- 1 cup water
- hard and soft shells
- shredded cheese
- sour cream
- Add chicken, water, and seasoning to the crock pot. Cook on low for 7 hours.
- Shred chicken with fork, and continue cooking for 30 minutes.
- Top shells with chicken, cheese, lettuce, and sour cream. Enjoy!
I have made shredded chicken on the stove before, but making it in the crock pot was so much easier. It was so tender that it fell apart easily when I shredded it. Plus, I threw it in the crock pot in the morning and forgot about it all day while we were out doing stuff. Easy peasy chicken wheezy.
I usually buy the Ortega taco kits because it comes with both hard and soft shells. Jacob and Danny usually like hard shells, and Jaden will only eat soft shells (with no chicken!), so everyone is happy.
Me? I had salmon.
With Propel Zero water. My BodyPump instructor drinks it, so I figured that I should too. The black cherry flavor is awesome.
While I was at the store picking up taco shells, I also got some ice cream bars. Skinny Cow mini fudge pops for me and orange & cream pops for Danny.
Thank you to Danny and his co-workers for sharing this recipe!
Questions of the day:
- Do you like tacos?
- What is your favorite taco filling? Toppings?