After my rant on my blog about low calories and lots of protein, my mom emailed me a high protein recipe. I changed it to my liking, and it didn’t have quite as many grams of protein as the original recipe, but it still had a good amount. It’s similar to another egg dish I make.
Scrambled Eggs and Potatoes
- 1/2 potato, diced
- 5 onion slices, chopped
- 1 cup spinach
- 2 egg whites
- 1 whole egg
- 1/8 cup cheddar jack cheese
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Cook diced potato in a skillet on the stove until lightly browned.
- Add chopped onion and spinach. Cook a few minutes until spinach begins to wilt.
- Scramble 2 egg whites and 1 egg with 1 tbsp. water.
- Pour eggs over potato mixture in skillet.
- Continue cooking while scrambling eggs, approximately 3-4 minutes.
- Lower heat and top with cheese. Cook until melted.
Total calories: 251 Total grams of protein: 18.5
I actually made this recipe right after my mom emailed it to me because I was hungry. In a perfect world, I would have added three times the amount of cheese – that’s the best part. I can’t believe how many calories cheese has. I only used about 1/8 a cup, and that was 50 calories.
Look at the amazing deal that my sister-in-law, Crystal, found and picked up for me yesterday:
All four boxes of cereal for $2.19. Yes, that’s right, two dollars and nineteen cents for all four boxes. That’s .55 cents a box. They were on sale, and she had manufacturer’s coupons and store coupons.
I don’t buy Cookie Crisp. Ever. When my kids saw it, they were so excited. It was like Christmas came early. But at .54 cents a box, I couldn’t pass it up. I also was nervous about The Reece’s Puffs because I could easily eat that whole box in a day. I love cereal. But instead of trying to avoid it, I’ll try to eat it in moderation. 3/4 a cup of cereal with 1/2 cup of almond milk is 150 calories. Not bad for a small treat, as long as I can stick with the 3/4 cup.
I also went to the store to pick up some protein rich foods – Greek yogurt, salmon, cod, cottage cheese, eggs, and two thinkThin bars.
Questions of the day:
- What’s your favorite cereal?
- Is there a food that you avoid having in the house because you’ll eat it all?
- What’s your favorite source of protein?